The city’s history dates back at least to the 10th century, and the village believe to have been located in the same area as Copenhagen is now. The architectural heritage of Copenhagen is vast and spans many centuries. These five buildings are, generally being older and are not always in the forefront of a traveler’s list.
Thorvaldsen’s Museum History
Bertel Thorvaldsen was one of Europe’s most renowned Neoclassical sculptures. Born in Copenhagen and he was a student in Rome beginning in 1796. He then spent the majority of his time there accepting orders from all across Europe. In 1838, he made the decision to go back home for good and established a museum to house his collection of models made of plaster of his entire work. In addition, he stored contemporary paintings and artifacts from the past.
Thorvaldsen’s Museum is a landmark construction in the development of Danish Classicism. Completed in 1848, constructed at a time when classic Neoclassicism fading out of fashion, but before the emergence of historicalism. The first and most significant work by its architect, Michael Gottlieb Bindersboll. It was constructed in the area of an previous Royal Carriage House, not far from the Christiansborg Palace. The reuse of the foundation largely dictated the museum’s size. The study of the polychromy of Bindersboll’s work as a decoration for old structures materially influenced his design. The primary hue of the simple but huge exterior is a rich white ochre with architectural elements highlight in green, white and blue.
The portal-like motifs of the front of the entrance are wove around the sides of the building, and have windows, and also frame a stunning S’graffito scratched the plaster frieze create by Jorgen Sonne, depicting the transportation of Thorvaldsen’s treasures across the globe from Rome to Copenhagen and back, dress in a modern like a Roman victory. The interior of the museum is adorn with simple dark shades to highlight the artwork and the ceilings are decorate with stucco and paint in a Pompeian style. The foyer is spacious and barrel-vaulted. Beyondit, a glass peristyle is surround by the courtyard.
Grundtvig Church History
There is nothing that can prepare the visitor for the breathtaking view of this massive brick church. This is a structure that looks like an amalgamation of a massive pipe organ and a German Expressionist movie set.
Awarded to the architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen in 1913 to design a church for the famous hymn-writer N.F.S. Grundtvig However, it wasn’t till 1921 when the first foundation stones laid. The location is locate in the suburban area of Bispebjerg situate in northwest Copenhagen. Jensen-Klint was also the architect who developed the surrounding houses. While the church built in the Expressionist style, it also drew inspiration from its predecessors, the Gothic brick churches of northern Europe and the Danish National Romantic style. Over six million bricks of yellow use for the construction of the church.
In 1930, prior to the building complete Jensen-Klint’s death the cause of his demise. The final work, which included the organ’s front and a lot of furnishings, completed through his son Kaare Jensen-Klint. The church finally dedicated in the year 1940, on the anniversary of the 157th birthday of Grundtvig’s birth.
Architects and planners alike need to have a lot of imagination when working near historic sites. It requires working in harmony with, not against existing structures, while acknowledging the past to create something modern and innovative. This respect is evident by Nordea Headquarters. Nordea Headquarters, which was completed in 1999. The complex is comprised of six glass wings, each of which is six stories tall.
They are situate at an angle of 90 degrees to the harbor’s inner front. The south-facing side of Copenhagen is the main bank’s entrance, a U-shaped structure that is clad in Sandstone. It stands out from the other buildings that are slender and unweighty, not just due to the absence of their glass façades, but also because all of the glass segments have been seal and elevated above the ground by frames made of copper.
In the evening, as lights cover the structure, they seem to rise over the earth, and become part of the canal instead of being a solid concrete structure. The main anchor is, however, the U-shaped structure, which is a return to land, and in close proximity to the church of the late Baroque. A clash between Baroque fashion and a modern bank can create a spirited architectural conversation through the ages.
The main goal of the projects that are commission by the National Secretariat History for Urban Regeneration in Denmark is to change the way in which urban renewal is implement. One of these projects is Kvarterhuset the Quarter House which completed in 2001 located in the southwest of Copenhagen.
The building is a 4-story extension of industrial properties that built in 1880. It is now home to an open library, café, school as well as meeting spaces. The large, open foyer leads to the library. A white staircase and white footbridges connect the upper floors and the adjacent buildings. The glass extension rises from the foundation through the leaning of concrete pillars, creating an impression of the fantastical. The foyer is a wood-paneled area with thermo glass panels in a pinewood framework create a slender and airy atmosphere.
Kvarterhuset can revitalize an area that has dark brick structures that create a dark and sombre ambiance. It’s an open, welcoming structure that shines light onto the street, and out onto the towering buildings that are up to three or four stories above it. Its presence instills an optimistic vibe to the people who use it for leisure, schooling time, or sports activities. The Kvarterhuset is also an effective community center within urban areas that are crowd. This is because there aren’t many open spaces outside for local residents to get together.
Tietgen Hall of Residence
In the Oresund region, which is located to the south of Copenhagen History, modern structures have risen rapidly in the last decade of the 21st century. Many of these buildings have similar architectural traits specifically, angular and hard-edged outlines. However Teigen Hall of Residence Teigen Hall of Residence displays organic curves and sizes in relation to its surroundings. It can house around 360 pupils. Five independent units, each comprising six stories of residential make up a circular shape around a common courtyard. The units are connect by elevators and towers of stairs that allow one to move between the units.
The residential areas are located within the unit’s outer parts. In contrast, communal areas including kitchens and study spaces are located in the courtyard. The rooms are arranged into structural modules that differ in both size and depth, creating a lively and lively space. The facade of the building therefore appears asymmetrical. This is a perfect distinction to the balanced and rotund appearance that the building has.
The architects of this building, Boje Lundgaard and Lene Tranberg, were awarded the award known as the Traeprisen in Denmark known as Traeprisen the Wood Award. This award was given for their creative utilization of wood. Wood provides a break to the concrete frame in the Tietgen Hall of Residence, mixing the natural and the artificial in a harmonious and pleasant manner. The building is situated near the University of Copenhagen, this structure strengthens the connection between students and their knowledge living their daily lives.