Architectural Landmarks In Buenos Aires Modernist Classical

January 10, 2023 // by administrator

Architectural Landmarks In Buenos Aires Modernist Classical

A Modernist home that has caused a stir in a classical neighborhood or a bank built with flexibility in mind. Find out the story of these architectural landmarks in Argentina’s capitalcity, Buenos Aires. Mark Irving wrote 1001 Architectures to See Before You Die in 2016 with details of the structures. Names of writers appear in the parentheses.

Teatro Colon Classical

The first opera house in the city of Buenos Aires Teatro Colon inaugurated in 1857. In 1888, the theater close and the building give to a bank. As a result, the local government realized the city needed a larger, more modern facility. The construction of the new structure started in 1889 and took nearly 20 years to finish. The building’s size caused several staffing problems before it complete. The building design in 1889 by Italian architect Francesco Tamburini. It take over by his assistant Vittorio Meano after Tamburini’s demise. Then it complete in the hands of Belgian designer Jules Dormal upon Meano’s assassination.

The impressive building, built around 1908, is typical of the buildings built within Buenos Aires after independence in 1816. In particular, it is influence by the French and Italian Renaissance styles. It is a massive structure and covers more than 26,250 square feet 2,439 square meters. The impressive facade is separated into 3 distinct parts that are adorn by columns, windows architraves, and arches and is crowned by a gable roof. Many entrances are accessible to opera lovers and performers alike.

The main entrance hall is adorn with an elegant white marble floor. It is connect to a large staircase, which leads to stalls. They then split to create seating that is spread over seven levels. The building also houses two more elegantly decorated halls. The auditorium, which is shape like a horseshoe, is decorate in gold and red and has a capacity of 2,478, with space for 500 people to stand. In the middle of its frescoed dome is an impressive 23-foot 7-m burned bronze chandelier that is lit by hundreds of lighting bulbs. Carol King

Retiro Mitre Station Classical

At the beginning of the 20th century at the beginning of the 20th century, it was clear that the Argentine railroad system had become among the biggest anywhere in the world. Retiro Mitre is the northern terminus of Retiro Station and is one of the three large terminals located in Buenos Aires.

It was the Retiro Station project, completed in 1915. Brought to light the debate about the evolution in British architecture during the Victorian era and World War I. Edwardian architecture was a blend of industry with Baroque. The designer Sydney Follett studied at the Edinburgh School of Art, where he received Classical training.

Cardiff City Hall, the National Museum in Cardiff, the Westminster Central Hall, and Cardiff City Hall are all referenced on the facade. It is define by the colonnade. It is the first access hall which is where English Baroque religious architecture is coupl along with the Victorian ticket booth. This area, which is cover with ceramic pieces that match the floor that originally laid, is the entrance to the waiting room which is a chapel-like space. Which is further augmented by a detailed decoration made of massive columns.

The two 820-foot long 250 meters glass-and-steel sheds that are encased by the platforms make for an impressive space. The third shed for trains as well as an extension located on Avenida del Libertador were part of the original design, but neither ever constructed. Retiro Mitre Station Retiro Mitre Station declared an official National Monument in 1997. Juan Pablo Vacas

Torre Monumental Classical

In the Retiro region located in Buenos Aires, the Torre Monumental, formerly called Torre de los Ingleses, is a monument that erected by the city’s Anglo-Argentine population to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the nation’s May Revolution. It designed by Sir Ambrose Macdonald Poynter, his grandson, who was also the father of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Nearly all the building materials that use to build the tower – cement, Portland stone, and red Leicestershire bricks brought from England. It the foundation stones laid the year 1910 and the tower built in 1916. The construction delayed due to the start in World War I.

Villa Ocampo Classical

The building of Villa Ocampo in the late 1920s in the city’s Palermo Chico district caused a scandal. As with many Latin American cities of the time, Buenos Aires populate with buildings inspired from European classic architecture. Seeing a structure influenced by Modernist architecture, particularly the designer Le Corbusier, was shocking. A lot of people in the area believed that the building’s minimalist style was more like a stable or factory than a house.

In 1929, Le Corbusier invite to present lectures at Buenos Aires. Before his visit, the writer, critic and popular socialite Victoria Ocampo commissioned the first Modernist residence within the city. The architect she invited was Le Corbusier as well as local designer Alejandro Bustillo to submit plans for her house, even though she already had her own concept. She decided to go with Bustillo.

Kavanagh Building

The impressive, 393-foot high 120 meters building was a long time the tallest structure on the continent of South America. After its completion in 1936 it also the biggest built of concrete reinforce in all the planet. With its striking profile, influenced by the zoning regulations of Buenos Aires, as well as reflecting the shape of its hard wedge-shaped location, the building is among the most distinctive structures in the city. The Kavanagh Building’s prow, which is narrow and facing its River Plate, is compare to that of a huge gray vessel.

When it built in the year 1890, Kavanagh Building constructed in 1926. Kavanagh Building was far ahead of its time in terms of structural design and also provided unmatched luxury for wealthy Portenos – a term used to describe the people who live in the port city. The building, which contained 105 units spread across six wings, with a total of 30 stories, adorned with European oak floors, mahogany doors and central air conditioning. Twelve elevators, a central phone exchange and even refrigerator rooms to store meat.

Teatro General San Martin Classical

Mario Roberto Alvarez and Macedonio Oscar Ruiz won the contest to build the city’s theatre in 1953. At the time of its opening in 1953, it clear that the Teatro General San Martin had already been regard as a major element in Buenos Aires architecture. This was due to its strict adhesion to the style guidelines of Functionalism along with Modernism.

The main block on the facade comprises seven floors of offices, with an auditorium on the top level. Three halls with double heights show the structure of the building. The main volume, which is home to The Sala Martin Coronado is the principal theater. It’s located over that main hall of access, and extends it out into the structure.

Bank of London and South America Classical

By the end of 1959 it was clear that at the time of the end of 1959, the Bank of London and South America was among the largest banking institutions around the globe. To celebrate its centennial, the bank conducted a competition to find their new home in Buenos Aires. In addition to identifying the functions of the structure, the contest rules highlighted its flexibility and appearance. The renowned architect firm S.E.P.R.A. presented the winning design.

The initial concept reflected the desire for flexibility in the design: a huge virtual area to accommodate all the actions in a single space, whose components would interconnect with each other metabolically. Over 28,900 square feet 26,280 square meters, this building is a major piece of the cityscape, utilizing adjacent buildings as boundaries. Lower levels, beneath the sidewalks, are home to the vaults as well as the service areas. The following three levels comprise a hall to serve customers of the bank. This hall is divide into three floors, which are use as offices. The two levels above are home to the management as well as the cafeteria.

National Library of Argentina

In the year 1961, a competition held to design a brand new structure in the National Library of Argentina. The park, which is public one locate at the site of the Peron residence has to maintain its character and its trees has to be protect. The contract awarded to Clorindo Testa, Francisco Bullrich, and Alicia Cazzaniga de Bullrich.

The public park and library sit at the top of a hill at near the edge of an urbanization. To accommodate the massive program and to preserve public spaces the building split into two parts, one underground, and the other half elevated above the surface. The rectangular space that houses the reading rooms raised above the plaza. An auditorium and administrative areas create a complicated ceiling over the plaza and main entryway that is support by steel tensioners. The book storage facilities are underground to shield the books from the sun and permit future extensions.

Casa Ponce

It is located on the slope of the historical part, to the north of Buenos Aires. This work by Mathias Klotz challenges the tolerance of the dwelling in comparison to the techniques of contemporary architecture. Although a small support section is semi-underground of Casa Ponce is a cantilevered structure that is suspend above the surface.

A small concrete bar sits on its edge, which is share with the lower-level glass box at the middle. There is a small, semi-underground area that houses the service areas, the machine rooms, and the laundry. The bedrooms are located on the upper floor. With the stunning garden deck while the glass space is the living room. Pablo Bernard

Landmark Buildings In Copenhagen History Village Century

January 10, 2023 // by hongnam

Landmark Buildings In Copenhagen History Village Century

The city’s history dates back at least to the 10th century, and the village believe to have been located in the same area as Copenhagen is now. The architectural heritage of Copenhagen is vast and spans many centuries. These five buildings are, generally being older and are not always in the forefront of a traveler’s list.

Thorvaldsen’s Museum History

Bertel Thorvaldsen was one of Europe’s most renowned Neoclassical sculptures. Born in Copenhagen and he was a student in Rome beginning in 1796. He then spent the majority of his time there accepting orders from all across Europe. In 1838, he made the decision to go back home for good and established a museum to house his collection of models made of plaster of his entire work. In addition, he stored contemporary paintings and artifacts from the past.

Thorvaldsen’s Museum is a landmark construction in the development of Danish Classicism. Completed in 1848, constructed at a time when classic Neoclassicism fading out of fashion, but before the emergence of historicalism. The first and most significant work by its architect, Michael Gottlieb Bindersboll. It was constructed in the area of an previous Royal Carriage House, not far from the Christiansborg Palace. The reuse of the foundation largely dictated the museum’s size. The study of the polychromy of Bindersboll’s work as a decoration for old structures materially influenced his design. The primary hue of the simple but huge exterior is a rich white ochre with architectural elements highlight in green, white and blue.

The portal-like motifs of the front of the entrance are wove around the sides of the building, and have windows, and also frame a stunning S’graffito scratched the plaster frieze create by Jorgen Sonne, depicting the transportation of Thorvaldsen’s treasures across the globe from Rome to Copenhagen and back, dress in a modern like a Roman victory. The interior of the museum is adorn with simple dark shades to highlight the artwork and the ceilings are decorate with stucco and paint in a Pompeian style. The foyer is spacious and barrel-vaulted. Beyondit, a glass peristyle is surround by the courtyard.

Grundtvig Church History

There is nothing that can prepare the visitor for the breathtaking view of this massive brick church. This is a structure that looks like an amalgamation of a massive pipe organ and a German Expressionist movie set.

Awarded to the architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen in 1913 to design a church for the famous hymn-writer N.F.S. Grundtvig However, it wasn’t till 1921 when the first foundation stones laid. The location is locate in the suburban area of Bispebjerg situate in northwest Copenhagen. Jensen-Klint was also the architect who developed the surrounding houses. While the church built in the Expressionist style, it also drew inspiration from its predecessors, the Gothic brick churches of northern Europe and the Danish National Romantic style. Over six million bricks of yellow use for the construction of the church.

In 1930, prior to the building complete Jensen-Klint’s death the cause of his demise. The final work, which included the organ’s front and a lot of furnishings, completed through his son Kaare Jensen-Klint. The church finally dedicated in the year 1940, on the anniversary of the 157th birthday of Grundtvig’s birth.

Nordea Headquarters

Architects and planners alike need to have a lot of imagination when working near historic sites. It requires working in harmony with, not against existing structures, while acknowledging the past to create something modern and innovative. This respect is evident by Nordea Headquarters. Nordea Headquarters, which was completed in 1999. The complex is comprised of six glass wings, each of which is six stories tall.

They are situate at an angle of 90 degrees to the harbor’s inner front. The south-facing side of Copenhagen is the main bank’s entrance, a U-shaped structure that is clad in Sandstone. It stands out from the other buildings that are slender and unweighty, not just due to the absence of their glass façades, but also because all of the glass segments have been seal and elevated above the ground by frames made of copper.

In the evening, as lights cover the structure, they seem to rise over the earth, and become part of the canal instead of being a solid concrete structure. The main anchor is, however, the U-shaped structure, which is a return to land, and in close proximity to the church of the late Baroque. A clash between Baroque fashion and a modern bank can create a spirited architectural conversation through the ages.

Kvarterhuset History

The main goal of the projects that are commission by the National Secretariat History for Urban Regeneration in Denmark is to change the way in which urban renewal is implement. One of these projects is Kvarterhuset the Quarter House which completed in 2001 located in the southwest of Copenhagen.

The building is a 4-story extension of industrial properties that built in 1880. It is now home to an open library, café, school as well as meeting spaces. The large, open foyer leads to the library. A white staircase and white footbridges connect the upper floors and the adjacent buildings. The glass extension rises from the foundation through the leaning of concrete pillars, creating an impression of the fantastical. The foyer is a wood-paneled area with thermo glass panels in a pinewood framework create a slender and airy atmosphere.

Kvarterhuset can revitalize an area that has dark brick structures that create a dark and sombre ambiance. It’s an open, welcoming structure that shines light onto the street, and out onto the towering buildings that are up to three or four stories above it. Its presence instills an optimistic vibe to the people who use it for leisure, schooling time, or sports activities. The Kvarterhuset is also an effective community center within urban areas that are crowd. This is because there aren’t many open spaces outside for local residents to get together.

Tietgen Hall of Residence

In the Oresund region, which is located to the south of Copenhagen History, modern structures have risen rapidly in the last decade of the 21st century. Many of these buildings have similar architectural traits specifically, angular and hard-edged outlines. However Teigen Hall of Residence Teigen Hall of Residence displays organic curves and sizes in relation to its surroundings. It can house around 360 pupils. Five independent units, each comprising six stories of residential make up a circular shape around a common courtyard. The units are connect by elevators and towers of stairs that allow one to move between the units.

The residential areas are located within the unit’s outer parts. In contrast, communal areas including kitchens and study spaces are located in the courtyard. The rooms are arranged into structural modules that differ in both size and depth, creating a lively and lively space. The facade of the building therefore appears asymmetrical. This is a perfect distinction to the balanced and rotund appearance that the building has.

The architects of this building, Boje Lundgaard and Lene Tranberg, were awarded the award known as the Traeprisen in Denmark known as Traeprisen the Wood Award. This award was given for their creative utilization of wood. Wood provides a break to the concrete frame in the Tietgen Hall of Residence, mixing the natural and the artificial in a harmonious and pleasant manner. The building is situated near the University of Copenhagen, this structure strengthens the connection between students and their knowledge living their daily lives.

Significant Buildings To Visit In Venice Lagoon World Heritage

January 10, 2023 // by digicert

Significant Buildings To Visit In Venice Lagoon World Heritage

Venice, as well as its lagoon, designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987 in recognition of its cultural heritage. The architectural treasures of Venice are unbearable. Here are some of Venice’s notable structures.

Basilica of San Marco Lagoon

The first 9th-century Romanesque church designed as a place of worship for the lost remains of Saint. Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria destroyed by a fire in 967. In the early 1500s, Doge Domenico Contadina ordered the construction of the Basilica di San Marco, assisted by Byzantine architects. The church officially dedicated in 1094.

With three naves intersecting with transepts, the floorplan mimics the Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople. The domes are place over the center and on each arm. The five-domed design is a rich mix that combines Byzantine as well as Gothic style. On its western facet is an entryway that has five entrances that lead towards the Piazza San Marco. The sparkling façade is cover with marble slabs and gold plated mosaics.

Venice’s treasures are a testament to its prestigious maritime status and its supremacy in the Eastern Mediterranean

Ca’ D’Oro Lagoon

It is best see via a gondola ride along the Grand Canal. Its name comes from the exquisite ornaments once adorning its facade. However, these ornaments have since diminished. An official of the Public Prosecution constructed the Palazzo, which bears the distinctive signature that is the signature of Giovanni along with Bartolomeo Bon Buon, the two sculptor-architects responsible for the Doge’s Palace and Porta della Carta.

The Ca’d’Oro, which complete around 1436 is a distinctive Venetian design. It blends Gothic components together with Byzantine as well as Arabic influences that stem from the city’s trading connections between Constantinople, Moorish Spain, and the Islamic East.

The famed façade is a beautiful juxtaposition of the empty areas of the portico and loggias on the left as well as the solid wall adorned with nine windows inset on the right hand side giving the impression of two buildings within one. The colonnaded, recessed ground beneath the pier and hall that is the Palazzo’s entryway, the enclosed Moorish balconies that contain rows of quatrefoil tracery that connect the arcades and open arches, and the elegant parapet with exquisite cresting lend the palace a romantic quality.

Santa Maria Dei Miracoli Lagoon

Many pilgrimages to Venice made in the 15th century due to rumors about its miracles. The fervor was so intense that the Venetians collected funds to construct the shrine. Which later became a church and convent in her honor.

It is located near a canal in the northeastern residential area of Venice’s Rialto Bridge. Two entrances are available, one along the canal, one along the road. The exterior is multicolored with marble colored sheets and green and red porphyry encrustations on the flat surfaces. Blind arches and a false colonnade add an illusion of perspective to the exterior walls. Giving the impression that the building is much larger.

The interior consists of a balcony that rises over the lagoon portal. This is so the nuns are hidden from view. In addition, there is a chancel with a staircase between two pulpits in the nave. A striking, pierced marble pillar is a part of an Alta portal. This is an elevated presbytery where it is believe that the Marian icon is place, and carvings of figurative and floral designs embellish the chancel.

Library Of San Marco

The Library of San Marco built in 1537 in order to house the renown collection of manuscripts of Cardinal Bessarion of Trebizond. A public undertaking supported by the Venetian state and built in a central location just in front of the palace of the ducal family. It faces the Grand Canal, after the removal of a variety of taverns as well as other structures that considered to be unclean.

Jacopo Sansovino was an architect and sculptor from Florentine. He worked for a long time in Rome before settling in Venice in 1527. This was where he helped to introduce a novel style of classical architecture that was based on the ancient city of Rome.

Church Of The Redeemer Lagoon

The Church of the Redeemer Retentors constructed after the Venetian Senate vowed to build an additional church. This was in order to ward off the devastating plague that struck Venice from 1575 until 1577. It killed around 30 % of its inhabitants.

The location picked as the site for construction and the first stone laid in the month of May 1577. The city’s liberation from the plague commemorated on the 20th of July with an event that took place across an open bridge made of boats. This bridge later became a tradition of annual celebration, that bridge being align with the church’s west façade.

The construction swiftly progressed and complete in 1592. which eight times more than budget. Andrea Palladio’s design was able to fulfill every function of the Franciscan church: ceremonial, votive and monastic. While inspired by modern Franciscan church initiatives the design of Palladio’s was largely due to his research into Roman baths.

The friars needed a huge space for preaching and chapels on the side for private prayers. The crossroads served both votive and ceremonial purposes as well as a place where people would meet for worship during their annual pilgrimage. The tri-conch design creates the illusion of a church larger then it is. It has a pleasing and elegant rhythm created between nave, crossing and the choir. Solids are contrast against voids and the views are create by the columns that screen behind the altar.

Santa Maria Della Salute

In 1630, a third of Venice’s population devastated due to an outbreak of plague. Venice’s senate subsequently declared that if the city recover from the latest outbreak the church of the future would be construct in honor of the Virgin. The promise honor one year later by a competition to select the most inspirational concept for a church. The plans of an unidentified artist chosen from 11 different designs. The chapel in Santa Maria Della Salute finish in 1682. In the year of the death of the unknown, Baldassare Longhand.

The enormous two-domed basilica sits in the middle of two basins the Grand Canal and the inner basin of St. Mark. It is accessible by gondolas. Its balloon-like domes look as if they being pin down by the huge Baroque scrolls that line the façade and the massive doorway. The structure is made more impressive by the majestic stone white steps that are raise over wooden pilings. These steps lead to the entryway, which is modeled after an Roman triumphal arch. A platform constructed of more than 100,000 wood piles is supported by the octagonal brick as well as the stone foundation.