A Modernist home that has caused a stir in a classical neighborhood or a bank built with flexibility in mind. Find out the story of these architectural landmarks in Argentina’s capitalcity, Buenos Aires. Mark Irving wrote 1001 Architectures to See Before You Die in 2016 with details of the structures. Names of writers appear in the parentheses.
Teatro Colon Classical
The first opera house in the city of Buenos Aires Teatro Colon inaugurated in 1857. In 1888, the theater close and the building give to a bank. As a result, the local government realized the city needed a larger, more modern facility. The construction of the new structure started in 1889 and took nearly 20 years to finish. The building’s size caused several staffing problems before it complete. The building design in 1889 by Italian architect Francesco Tamburini. It take over by his assistant Vittorio Meano after Tamburini’s demise. Then it complete in the hands of Belgian designer Jules Dormal upon Meano’s assassination.
The impressive building, built around 1908, is typical of the buildings built within Buenos Aires after independence in 1816. In particular, it is influence by the French and Italian Renaissance styles. It is a massive structure and covers more than 26,250 square feet 2,439 square meters. The impressive facade is separated into 3 distinct parts that are adorn by columns, windows architraves, and arches and is crowned by a gable roof. Many entrances are accessible to opera lovers and performers alike.
The main entrance hall is adorn with an elegant white marble floor. It is connect to a large staircase, which leads to stalls. They then split to create seating that is spread over seven levels. The building also houses two more elegantly decorated halls. The auditorium, which is shape like a horseshoe, is decorate in gold and red and has a capacity of 2,478, with space for 500 people to stand. In the middle of its frescoed dome is an impressive 23-foot 7-m burned bronze chandelier that is lit by hundreds of lighting bulbs. Carol King
Retiro Mitre Station Classical
At the beginning of the 20th century at the beginning of the 20th century, it was clear that the Argentine railroad system had become among the biggest anywhere in the world. Retiro Mitre is the northern terminus of Retiro Station and is one of the three large terminals located in Buenos Aires.
It was the Retiro Station project, completed in 1915. Brought to light the debate about the evolution in British architecture during the Victorian era and World War I. Edwardian architecture was a blend of industry with Baroque. The designer Sydney Follett studied at the Edinburgh School of Art, where he received Classical training.
Cardiff City Hall, the National Museum in Cardiff, the Westminster Central Hall, and Cardiff City Hall are all referenced on the facade. It is define by the colonnade. It is the first access hall which is where English Baroque religious architecture is coupl along with the Victorian ticket booth. This area, which is cover with ceramic pieces that match the floor that originally laid, is the entrance to the waiting room which is a chapel-like space. Which is further augmented by a detailed decoration made of massive columns.
The two 820-foot long 250 meters glass-and-steel sheds that are encased by the platforms make for an impressive space. The third shed for trains as well as an extension located on Avenida del Libertador were part of the original design, but neither ever constructed. Retiro Mitre Station Retiro Mitre Station declared an official National Monument in 1997. Juan Pablo Vacas
Torre Monumental Classical
In the Retiro region located in Buenos Aires, the Torre Monumental, formerly called Torre de los Ingleses, is a monument that erected by the city’s Anglo-Argentine population to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the nation’s May Revolution. It designed by Sir Ambrose Macdonald Poynter, his grandson, who was also the father of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Nearly all the building materials that use to build the tower – cement, Portland stone, and red Leicestershire bricks brought from England. It the foundation stones laid the year 1910 and the tower built in 1916. The construction delayed due to the start in World War I.
Villa Ocampo Classical
The building of Villa Ocampo in the late 1920s in the city’s Palermo Chico district caused a scandal. As with many Latin American cities of the time, Buenos Aires populate with buildings inspired from European classic architecture. Seeing a structure influenced by Modernist architecture, particularly the designer Le Corbusier, was shocking. A lot of people in the area believed that the building’s minimalist style was more like a stable or factory than a house.
In 1929, Le Corbusier invite to present lectures at Buenos Aires. Before his visit, the writer, critic and popular socialite Victoria Ocampo commissioned the first Modernist residence within the city. The architect she invited was Le Corbusier as well as local designer Alejandro Bustillo to submit plans for her house, even though she already had her own concept. She decided to go with Bustillo.
The impressive, 393-foot high 120 meters building was a long time the tallest structure on the continent of South America. After its completion in 1936 it also the biggest built of concrete reinforce in all the planet. With its striking profile, influenced by the zoning regulations of Buenos Aires, as well as reflecting the shape of its hard wedge-shaped location, the building is among the most distinctive structures in the city. The Kavanagh Building’s prow, which is narrow and facing its River Plate, is compare to that of a huge gray vessel.
When it built in the year 1890, Kavanagh Building constructed in 1926. Kavanagh Building was far ahead of its time in terms of structural design and also provided unmatched luxury for wealthy Portenos – a term used to describe the people who live in the port city. The building, which contained 105 units spread across six wings, with a total of 30 stories, adorned with European oak floors, mahogany doors and central air conditioning. Twelve elevators, a central phone exchange and even refrigerator rooms to store meat.
Teatro General San Martin Classical
Mario Roberto Alvarez and Macedonio Oscar Ruiz won the contest to build the city’s theatre in 1953. At the time of its opening in 1953, it clear that the Teatro General San Martin had already been regard as a major element in Buenos Aires architecture. This was due to its strict adhesion to the style guidelines of Functionalism along with Modernism.
The main block on the facade comprises seven floors of offices, with an auditorium on the top level. Three halls with double heights show the structure of the building. The main volume, which is home to The Sala Martin Coronado is the principal theater. It’s located over that main hall of access, and extends it out into the structure.
Bank of London and South America Classical
By the end of 1959 it was clear that at the time of the end of 1959, the Bank of London and South America was among the largest banking institutions around the globe. To celebrate its centennial, the bank conducted a competition to find their new home in Buenos Aires. In addition to identifying the functions of the structure, the contest rules highlighted its flexibility and appearance. The renowned architect firm S.E.P.R.A. presented the winning design.
The initial concept reflected the desire for flexibility in the design: a huge virtual area to accommodate all the actions in a single space, whose components would interconnect with each other metabolically. Over 28,900 square feet 26,280 square meters, this building is a major piece of the cityscape, utilizing adjacent buildings as boundaries. Lower levels, beneath the sidewalks, are home to the vaults as well as the service areas. The following three levels comprise a hall to serve customers of the bank. This hall is divide into three floors, which are use as offices. The two levels above are home to the management as well as the cafeteria.
National Library of Argentina
In the year 1961, a competition held to design a brand new structure in the National Library of Argentina. The park, which is public one locate at the site of the Peron residence has to maintain its character and its trees has to be protect. The contract awarded to Clorindo Testa, Francisco Bullrich, and Alicia Cazzaniga de Bullrich.
The public park and library sit at the top of a hill at near the edge of an urbanization. To accommodate the massive program and to preserve public spaces the building split into two parts, one underground, and the other half elevated above the surface. The rectangular space that houses the reading rooms raised above the plaza. An auditorium and administrative areas create a complicated ceiling over the plaza and main entryway that is support by steel tensioners. The book storage facilities are underground to shield the books from the sun and permit future extensions.
It is located on the slope of the historical part, to the north of Buenos Aires. This work by Mathias Klotz challenges the tolerance of the dwelling in comparison to the techniques of contemporary architecture. Although a small support section is semi-underground of Casa Ponce is a cantilevered structure that is suspend above the surface.
A small concrete bar sits on its edge, which is share with the lower-level glass box at the middle. There is a small, semi-underground area that houses the service areas, the machine rooms, and the laundry. The bedrooms are located on the upper floor. With the stunning garden deck while the glass space is the living room. Pablo Bernard